Thursday, February 1, 2007

Arts modules.....

I just attended my 1st philosophy tutorial today. I'm taking Reason and Persuasion this sem. I came out of the tutorial feeling happy, very much different from when i came out of my Feedback or Fluids tutorial. After the tutorial and a few weeks of lectures(i webcasted them, they clash with my labs), I'm starting to get the feeling that there's finally hope in NUS. Finally a module where I enjoy the lectures, readings and tutorials. I'm sure I'll be enjoying my 2 essays and the finals for this module too.

Since my 1st sem in NUS, I've noticed I the kinda person who likes writing more than counting. I like to write essays, especially non-factual essays. I just love spending my time in the exam hall writing words. It's so much better than writing equations based on formulas which takes a whole damn lot of effort to memorize. I'm not saying that my English is damn good, in fact, my English is not good at all. Average I may say. It's just that I like writing, doesn't have to be "powderful england", just normal English where people understand what I'm trying to portray to them.

Reason and Persuasion is the 2nd arts module I've taken so far, the 1st is my SS, Evolution of a global city state. I SU-ed my SS module due to mass pressure from Sarah and my group of friends. They say "Its an arts module, we wont be able to compete with those arts people", well i really disagree with them. What makes those art students different from us engin and science students? We learn the same English since standard 1 till form 5, so what now makes them more superior in writing?? Even in pre-u studies, the English subjects are just about the same. Just because they are in arts does not mean they are better writers than us. And I regretted I did not stand firm on my own opinion that time. If i didn't SU my SS, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten at LEAST a A- if not an A.

Now in this sem, I'm gonna go ahead with reason and persuasion without SU. Hopefully i can finally score my 1st A here in NUS. I really need it soon.......

No comments: