Tuesday, February 6, 2007

random....

A few days back, i went to Clementi to bank in my cheque i got from the insurance coverage for my ankle injury on December. When i just got down the bus something happened to caught my eye... I saw this kid, a small kid.. probably just only started 1st year in primary school cause he was wearing a uniform(or was it a tadika uniform?). Well this kid was carrying a handphone and walking around alone. Not that I'm jealous or anything but aren't kids nowadays being over pampered by their parents? I remember i got my 1st handphone only when i started going to college.

The world is changing in a rather rapid and uncomfortable pace. Or rather kids are changing. My childhood memories were filled with outdoor activities and games with friends of mine. Those fun times i had playing "invaders", "pepsi-cola", bottle caps, "batu seremban", "rubber", and many other games we played during primary and early secondary days. Now when you go ask the kids what they to with their friends for fun, dota, CS, gunbound, rockfever... all computer and electronic games. It'll be rare to find kids that don't play all these computer games anymore and i feel thats a pretty sad thing. Not to say that computer games are not fun or anything but i believe traditional outdoor games really brings back more memories. The bonding of friendship is more prominent in outdoor games. People argue that friendships can also be developed through computer games, yes i wont deny that, i myself am a constant gamer but its just not the same with outdoor games.

Just a few years back, I was someone who believed that computer games are just as good in developing friendships as other outdoor group games. This thinking of mine changed when i joined engin camp, UFO and rag. From engaging in lame ice-breaker games to building a donut together, its activities like this that builds bonds and memories. I can still recall roughly on those happy days. Computer games on the other hand does not give a lasting memory. How many of you can remember details of a game of dota you played 2 or 3 months ago?

I'm just hoping future generations will be able to understand this, computer games are ok once in awhile, but games outside the cyber world will be those that form the bulk of your childhood memories....

1 comment:

suYin said...

yeah... kids nowadays... *shakes head*