Saturday, July 3, 2010

penalties...

Ahhhhh...... I just finished watching Ghana vs Uruguay and I have to say those final seconds of extra-time has to be the most dramatic I've ever seen since I started watching football. Uruguay wont it on penalties but if it wasn't because of Suarez turning into a volleyball player to save his team and Gyan missing the subsequent penalty, Ghana would have deservingly went through.

The game was great, both team had their spells on top and created chances but you have to give credit to Ghana. Went out there as the lowest ranked team left in the tournament but played with so much spirit and determination. The just took over towards the end of the game, their lack of technical ability was obvious but unlike England players, they made up with hard work.

It's just sad that they had to lose on penalties.. Sure they took BAD penalties.. (the penalties was so bad, even I could have saved them), but it's just a cruel way to go out especially after playing a great tournament.

Then there's Luis Suarez incredible save during the final seconds of extra time. Credit him or hate him? If he didn't used BOTH of his hands to do a volleyball block, Ghana would have scored the winning goal. So in exchange of getting sent off, he kept his team in the tournament. Luck played apart because Asamoah Gyan whom already dispatched 2 penalties with relative ease in this tournament crashed his spot-kick towards the crossbar.

IF the penalty had went in, Suarez would probably have nightmares for months to come but instead, Gyan will now be the one having nightmares. Just shows how every second can change the outcome of a person's live in a match. It was one of those "Write the future" moments that Nike was trying to use as an advertisement.

Really wanted Ghana to go all the way and win this thing. Would have been a VERY emotional finals. Guess my dream along with the dreams of all Africa just burned into ashes tonight. Time to just enjoy the rest of the tournament, the quarter-finals have been very exciting so far. Germany vs Argentina will be a very good game if Germany scores first. I'm tipping Argentina to go through though, so far my guesses are all pretty accurate and I hope it continues to be. Would love to see Spain vs Argentina in the semis.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm Still Learning From You, But I'm Trying To Reach My Goals. I Absolutely Liked Reading All That Is Written On Your Blog.Keep The Aarticles Coming. agen judi indonesia I Enjoyed It!