Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Passion....

Everybody has something that they are very passionate about. They don't have to be damn good at it but it's just something that they love to do. Something that they would sacrifice a lot of time in doing it. Sad to say, this "something" for me is........ a game..... Yes, you got it right.. I'm very passionate about Dota. Not just Dota.. but i really feel the drive to get involved in competitive Dota.

I remember back when I started Dota. Started playing with a very good friend of mine Kevin back when we were in Form 5. Until now, we still play together and I do believe that Dota is one of the main reason why our bond is so strong. Now, Kevin is quite a well-known player among the Selangor/KL top teams. I did not join him in going competitive games back then mainly because I can't. Parents wont allow me much time on the computer and I can't always go out for practice. Still, I ended up to be quite an above average player.

When I came to NUS, I've been Dotaing more than I have back when I was in college due to the freedom I have. I joined my 1st competition during my 2nd sem too and I found out that I love playing in serious games. I wanted more, but because of this strong feeling of wanting to impress people when I'm playing, I've started to lose my consistency in games. My judgement in games nowadays are slow and shaky. Thus resulting in people not seeing me as a good enough player to be in their team.

When I'm playing alone at home with unknown players online now, I do quite well. No shakyness, no doubts, no stress. With friends? I start thinking too much, "should I stun now or later?", "Ulti when 2 people only.. worth it??", "heal QOP or heal Spec?". By the time I make my decision, Its already too late. 1 second makes a lot of difference in team orientated battles.

Sigh, during this holidays. I've been spending a lot of time watching Kev's team playing with other teams. The more I watched them, the more I want to be 1 of them. Everytime Kev complains about a team mate, I was wishing for him to ask me to play instead but sadly this is not going to happen.

I'm watching a lot of replays for recent tourneys hoping I can learn more. Watching does help... but only on the theory side. I need to actually play in serious draft matches to learn how to apply the things I've learned. Hopefully, when I get back to Singapore, people will start trusting me and invite me for draft games more often......If not, It'll be hard for me to actually improve.

No comments: