Sunday, May 13, 2007

Freshies!!!

Wahahaha, went to NUS welcome tea for accepted students for the coming year of studies. I think about 100 students turn up with their parents for the welcome tea.

Us MSL people were appointed to answer questions from the parents and prospective students after a short talk by some OSA people.... I tak kenal wan... can say the hottest senior was James. He probably answered the most questions and definitely talked the most.

Seeing all those blur and confused faces of students and parents really reminds me of the time when I myself got my acceptance letter from NUS. Though I admit, students for the last intake and this intake are probably more worrid than us from the intake 2 years ago. I mean, we didn't even cared about CORS until we actually needed to start bidding for the modules. Now, its like they haven't even accepted the offer from NUS and they're already worrid about not getting their modules. I guess being sure of what you're gonna face is better than last minute surprises xD .

Another trend I realized among Malaysian students are they are really very ambitious. Just like the last intake, a number of students this year are confidently asking about how to do a double degree, USP or extra stuff. This is the second year I'm facing this kinda ambitious students ( I farely remember Kah Onn telling me he wants to do BOTH USP AND a double degree) and I really dont know whether to tell them the truth and ask them to forget about it or to lie to them and tell them its possible. I'm afraid that telling them the truth will only make them feel I'm looking down at them or if i lie to them, they'll hate in the future. Frankly speaking, USP is still possible but a double degree? I'll doubt you'll ever experience anything in Uni other than books in your face.

All I'm hoping for this group of students is that they'll be able to enjoy their time in NUS.... ok NOT ENJOY LA.. but hopefully they don't experience too much difficulties until they have to quit NUS like a few others I have know.

On to another topic, went for supper with James, Yen Yoong, Alison, Syen, Leo and Miss Hoo(Yuan Lih la for those who are blur). Played fusbal and pool ( which both I sucked at) . Its really nice hanging with NUS people (and 1 EX-NUS) after our sem is over. Relaxing to know that we can still wake up tomorrow not needing to worry about lectures/tutorials/studies/exams. And it was also nice to see "future" Dr. Hoo again, though her lameness level has gone down when compared to Alison, James and Ryan but still lame nevertheless!

No comments: