Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Leader...

I've came to admire the leadership qualities of England and Liverpool FC's Steven Gerrard. People often compare Gerrard with the likes of Viera, Lampard, Roy keane and many other talented midfielders.Talented they are, but none with the complete influence Gerrard has over a game.

As a Liverpool fan, I've seen many games where Liverpool players are just plain lazy and always play as if they have already given up, and many of this games changed at an instant where Steven Gerrard start stamping his influence in to the game. Who can forget his memorable strike against Olympiakos that put Liverpool through to the knock-out stages of the Champions League?(they had to win 3-1 that day and he got the last goal in the dying minutes) Who can forget his great performance that brought Liverpool back from 3-0 down against AC Milan in the finals of the Champions League? Who can forget how he single-handedly fought away a resilient West Ham team to win the FA cup?

And just few days back, he once again showed how good he is by carrying England to victory against Andorra. I just don't get why Terry is the England captain, I just don't get why Lampard is not dropped to let Gerrard play in his favoured position. He was by far the only player that stand out during that match!

There was once when I was watching a Champions League match in PGP tv room with a lot of other unkwown people... This group of people started talking about how good Gerrard is, then one guy said..." Gerrard is nothing compared to Henry". Stupid words if you ask me. Henry IS a great player, but he can never do something Gerrard can, make his team great. See Arsenal vs Barcelona in last years Champions League final and you'll understand what I mean.

I just watched this video awhile ago... very well done..


PS. To Arsenal fans, I'm not criticizing or discriminating against Henry. I'm just saying you guys need to find a better captain.

No comments: